If ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Someone said that to me today. It made me laugh so…
If ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Someone said that to me today. It made me laugh so hard, but it’s so true.
Today I made a Lentil ragu with basmati rice, cherry tomatoes and black beans.
Lentil Ragu Recipe
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
250g red split lentils
400g chopped tomatoes
1 large red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 large bay leaf
1 vegetable stock cube
240g tin cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
Cooked basmati rice, to serve
1. Put tin chopped tomatoes and red pepper in a food processor and blend into a smooth purée.
2. Heat a splash of water in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
3. Add the blended tomato purée and the paste and cook for 25 minutes or until the tartness of the tomato disappears. Taste to check.
4. Add the lentils, oregano, thyme, vegetable stock cube and bay leaf with a good splash of water. Bring to the boil then cook on a simmer for around 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked. Stir occasionally and add small splashes of water if needed.
5. Serve with basmati rice, black beans and fresh cherry tomatoes (if desired)