On the Dukan Diet and Looking For a Snack?
The Dukan diet is a diet in four phases. You can think of it as actually four diets followed one after the other. The great success of the Dukan diet is down to the fact that it’s creator, French nutritionist Dr. Pierre Dukan, recognized that over the course of a diet the requirements of the dieter change. For example, most people are aware that a major problem with diets is the piling on of weight after the diet is over. The third stage of the Dukan diet is a diet to cover this period, ensuring that all the weight lost is not regained. In this article, I am going to be looking at snacks that can be enjoyed during all four phases of the diet.
People on the Dukan diet rarely feel hungry or crave food. Since it is a high protein and low carbohydrate regime, the need to snack is not an urgent one. However, snacking is not all about being hungry. We do snack when we feel hungry but we also snack when we’re bored or just because the people we’re with are having a snack. At home, a quick and easy treat could be a few slices of thinly sliced beef with mustard. Or, you could enjoy a few surimi sticks (crabsticks). What you are not allowed, if you’re on the diet, is a bag of potato chips or a handful of nuts.
This is only really a problem if you are out and you want to eat a snack. It’s not impossible, by any means, to carry around some sliced chicken, a non-fat yogurt pot, or some surimi but it isn’t that practical. In addition, if you are snacking with friends, you want to be eating snacks similar to theirs.
My solution to this problem is to buy yourself a bag of beef jerky or biltong. If you have the choice, biltong is much more Dukan diet friendly since it contains less sugar. Both are available in bags similar to the ones potato chips come in and both are as easy to carry around as a bag of chips. More importantly, they contain much less fat, sugar and salt than potato based snacks. Jerky and biltong are delicious to eat too.
Dukan Diet Snacks
During the Attack Phase, which is the initial phase of the Dukan Diet, your diet is highly restrictive, consisting primarily of lean protein. Snacks should align with this principle and be protein-focused. Here are some snack ideas for the Attack Phase:
- Lean Meat or Poultry: Snack on slices of lean turkey or chicken breast.
- Cottage Cheese: Choose low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese as a high-protein option.
- Greek Yogurt: Opt for plain, non-fat Greek yogurt.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs: Hard-boiled eggs can make a convenient protein-rich snack.
- Lean Deli Meats: Look for low-fat, low-sodium deli meats like turkey or lean ham.
- Tofu: Tofu cubes or slices can be a vegetarian source of protein.
- Fat-Free Dairy: Consume fat-free milk or dairy products like yogurt.
- Low-Fat String Cheese: String cheese is a portable option for protein.
- Dukan Diet Oat Bran Muffins: You can make muffins using Dukan Diet-approved ingredients, such as oat bran.
- Protein Shakes: A protein shake made with skim milk or water can be a quick and easy snack.
Remember that you should limit your snacks and focus on your main meals during the Attack Phase.
The Cruise Phase of the Dukan Diet allows for some vegetables to be reintroduced into your diet, alternating between pure protein days and protein-and-vegetable days. Here are some snack ideas for the Cruise Phase:
- Vegetable Sticks: Snack on raw vegetable sticks like cucumbers, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes.
- Salad: Create a salad with allowed vegetables and lean protein sources like chicken or turkey.
- Greek Yogurt with Berries: Add some berries to your Greek yogurt for a tasty and nutritious snack on vegetable days.
- Egg Salad: Make an egg salad with lean protein and Dukan Diet-approved veggies.
- Tofu and Veggie Skewers: Skewer tofu and allowed vegetables for a protein-and-vegetable snack.
- Dukan Diet-approved Oat Bran Pancakes: Make pancakes using oat bran and approved ingredients.
- Cottage Cheese with Sliced Cucumbers: Combine cottage cheese with sliced cucumbers for a quick and easy snack.
- Protein Bars: Some Dukan Diet-approved protein bars may be suitable for the Cruise Phase.
Remember to continue alternating between pure protein days and protein-and-vegetable days during the Cruise Phase as specified in the Dukan Diet guidelines. Also, be sure to consult with a healthcare professional or dietitian before starting any new diet plan to ensure it’s safe and appropriate for your individual needs and health goals.