Dr. Nowzaradan’s 1200 Calorie Diet Plan: All You Need to Know About It
Dr. Nowzaradan’s 1200-calorie diet plan is associated with Dr. Younan Nowzaradan, a bariatric surgeon who is well-known for his appearances on the reality TV show “My 600-lb Life.” He specializes in treating extremely obese individuals and helps them lose weight through surgical interventions and lifestyle changes, which often include a strict diet plan.
The 1200-calorie diet plan attributed to Dr. Nowzaradan is a very low-calorie diet designed for individuals who need to lose a significant amount of weight, typically those who are morbidly obese. Here are some key points about this diet plan:
- Low Calorie Intake: The 1200-calorie diet is extremely restrictive, as it limits daily calorie consumption to just 1200 calories. This level of calorie restriction is often considered a very low-calorie diet (VLCD). Such diets are typically prescribed to patients under medical supervision.
- High Protein: Protein is an essential component of this diet plan. It helps maintain muscle mass and provides a feeling of fullness, which can be crucial when you’re on such a low-calorie diet. Lean protein sources like chicken, turkey, fish, and low-fat dairy products are typically included.
- Limited Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are often restricted on this diet plan. The focus is on complex carbohydrates like whole grains, vegetables, and legumes, while simple carbohydrates, such as sugar and refined grains, are largely avoided.
- Healthy Fats: Healthy fats, like those found in avocados, nuts, and olive oil, are included in moderation. Fats are important for overall health and can help with satiety.
- Portion Control: The diet plan emphasizes portion control to ensure that daily caloric intake does not exceed 1200 calories. This includes measuring and tracking food portions to meet the calorie target.
- Strict Adherence: To be successful on this diet plan, strict adherence is necessary. Cheating or deviating from the plan can significantly impact weight loss progress.
- Medical Supervision: Dr. Nowzaradan’s diet plan is typically administered under the guidance and supervision of a healthcare professional, particularly when dealing with individuals who are severely obese or have various medical conditions.
It’s important to note that such a low-calorie diet is not suitable for everyone. It’s primarily designed for individuals who need to lose a substantial amount of weight for medical reasons, such as improving their overall health and preparing for weight loss surgery. If you’re considering a diet plan like this, it’s crucial to consult with a healthcare provider to ensure it’s appropriate for your specific circumstances, as VLCDs can come with potential risks and side effects if not closely monitored by a medical professional.
Dr. Nowzaradan’s 1200 Calorie Meal Plan
|Dr. Nowzaradan’s Meal Plan||Total daily calorie count: 1200|
|Meal 1(Breakfast)- Total 405 calories||An egg white boiled or poached (not fried)- 115 calories|
2 ounces of Turkey sausage boiled or microwaved (not fried): 130 calories
A single slice of whole-wheat toast: 90 calories
Low-fat cottage cheese: 90 calories
Black coffee (unsweetened) or unsweetened tea
|Meal 2 (Lunch)- Total 350 Calories|| 2 of cups of spinach: 40 calories|
A can of tuna in water: 210 calories
A couple of carrots: 60 calories
A teaspoon of light mayo: 50 calories
Tea (unsweetened) or water
|Meal 3 (dinner)- 280 calories||Two cups of steamed broccoli: 100 calories|
3 ounces of grilled chicken: 140 calories
1 ounce of low-fat cheddar cheese: 50 calories
Tea (unsweetened) or water
|Snacks – 135 Calories||A slice of low-fat Swiss cheese: 60 calories|
A couple of pieces of turkey breast: 75 calories
Some of the important facts you need to know about the 1200 calorie diet plan:
- It is only for those who are highly obese (more than 600 pounds) and planning to go for laparoscopic surgery or something similar to that.
- The proposed plan is a sample menu. The plan is customized as per every individual’s needs.
- Although the keto diet is popular for weight loss, the doctor does not recommend its high-fat intake.
- Now asks to eliminate the frequent tendency of eating snacks. It leads to accumulating fat around the waist. Also, eating frequently increases the blood sugar level.
- The three square meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner), with the right portion of the food, leads to a healthy life.